In rural Durango, Basque Country, only 30 mins from Bilbao
Bars and restaurants in the local area
There is a very wide choice of places to eat in the Durango area, with various world-class restaurants on our doorstep, and many smaller, good value eating-houses in the local towns and villages.
Lunch is served between about 13.00 and 15.00, with dinner starting from 20.30 /20.45, later at the weekend. Pintxos are on sale before lunch, around 12.00 - 14.30, and then again before dinner from 19.00 to 21.00 i.e. don't expect to find much around to eat in late afternoon / early evening. The set daily 'menú del día' is very good value for lunch during the week.
A very lively 'pintxo pote' evening is to be had on Thursdays from 19.30 to 21.30 in Durango old town, also Abadiño and Elorrio, where you get a free pintxo with every drink. Brings out all ages, specially in good weather.
TOP CLASS MICHELIN-STARRED RESTAURANTS, 10 minutes' away
MIDDLE-RANGE RESTAURANTS: for good Basque food with accessible prices. Some of these restaurants also do a set menu at lunchtime Monday to Friday.
- Kobika, Durango (award-winning taster menu Thursday evening)
- Akebaso, Atxondo (in a beautiful farmhouse in Atxondo valley)
- Ikuspegi, Goiuria (lovely views over valley)
- Kukutxe, Durango (in town centre)
MENU OF THE DAY PLACES (lunchtime Monday - Friday) Some do not have a written menu, so please ask us to ring and note down the daily specials if you do not speak Spanish or Basque. Some also serve dinners (not daily menu price, which is about 12,00))
- Abarketeruena, Abadiño Good Basque food, locally-sourced and with a modern touch. Also serves dinners at weekends. Lively bar
- Munts, Muntsaraz, Abadiño (family-friendly, table service for small, simple menu, also bar snacks, outside terrace, big screens
- Narru, Elorrio Very good menú del día, also dinners at weekends
- Tabira Etxea, Durango good for baked monkfish
- Mesoi Barria, Durango Informal, long benches, friendly service, wide menu for lunch and dinner every day
- Txantonesa, Durango Varied and reliable. Also serve weekend set menus for lunch and dinner (about 25,00)
- Kotxero, Elorrio Traditional style, very good baby squid in ink (txipirones)
- Santuario de Urkiola restaurant Very friendly service, good menú del día and bar meals, also weekend menús for about 25,00
- Munts (see above) bar meals
- Kieran's Bar, Matiena, Abadiño (vegetarian options)
- Kale Kantoi, Durango (very good pintxos and sandwiches)
Take Away services
Varied menus which change daily, to collect from premises in Durango old part, no delivery service for small orders. Very well-stocked wine cellar, also special pintxo & wine-pairing sessions Thursday evenings, cookery courses, delicatessen
Bapo Bapo http://http//www.bapobapo.com/
Home delivery service from a large number of (mainly cheaper end) restaurants in Durango area. Takes about 40 mins from ordering to delivery.