In rural Durango, Basque Country, only 30 mins from Bilbao
What's On in 2017
3rd February - San Blas country fair, Abadiño. Dozens of stalls with local produce, farm animals & rural sport shows etc. Weekend of events with pelota matches, concerts in local bars etc
18th February - 40minuturock Durango, Plateruena. 24-hour rock and ska festival
25th March - Ardo Saltsan wine and delicatessen fair, Durango.
14th - 16th April - Durangoko Pasiñue passion play, Durango
22nd April - commemoration of battle of Intxortas, Elgeta (Spanish Civil War). Visits to trenches and battle scenes, parade of gudaris (Basque soldiers) and Franco's forces, presentations to survivors and families.
20th May - country fair, Mañaria
23rd - 25th June - Haizetara street band festival, Amorebieta.
3rd September .- Ferixa Nagusia, Elorrio. Biggest country fair in Bizkaia of the summer, with stalls of local produce, farm animals, drumming parade on 2nd, pelota and rural sports, concerts all week etc
1st October - Errebonbillos, Elorrio. Traditional Basque dancing commemorating event from Carlist wars.
13th October - San Fausto, Durango's main fiesta. 10 days of events with concerts, parades, fancy dress, children's events etc
November - mushroom picking and tasting events throughout the month in local towns
7th - 10th December? - Durango Azoka, the main book and music fair of the Basque Country. More than 150 stalls from local publishers and record companies, programme of cultural events and concerts all weekend. Lively atmosphere in town.
Local events in 2017
Within an hour's drive
- 19th - 20th January San Sebastián day - Tamborrada drumming parade of soldiers and chefs
- 23rd - 28th February carnivals - Tolosa. Whole town in satirical fancy dress, floats, shows, performances
- Easter weekend Basque Fest, Bilbao. Programme of family and street entertainment over Easter; theatre and performance art, clowns, story-telling, Basque dancing and rural sport demonstrations etc
- 5th - 7th June Bilbao Stand-up Surf championship
- 1st - 5th July Getxo Jazz Festival, Bilbao.
- 7th - 9th July BBK Live music festival, Bilbao
- 12th - 16th July Vitoria Jazz Festival
- 20th - 25th July San Sebastián Jazz Festival
- 4th - 9th August La Blanca fiesta, Vitoria's main fiesta
- 13th - 20th Aste Nagusia, San Sebastián's 'Big Week' summer fiesta
- 22nd - 30th August Bilboko Aste Nagusia, Bilbao's 'Big Week' main summer fiesta. Concerts, theatre, street entertainment, fireworks every night, childrens' activities etc
- 16th - 24th September international Film Festival, San Sebastián
- 21st December Santo Tomás Christmas country fairs, Bilbao and San Sebastián
- 22nd December Santo Tomás fair, Mondragón
- 14th February Uztaberri - new wine harvest festival, open doors day in wine cellars La Puebla de la Barca, Rioja Alavesa. 1.5 hours away
- 6th - 14th July San Fermines, Pamplona. Famous bull-running fiesta, with full programme of music and dancing, street performances etc. every day. 1 h 45 min / 2 h drive from house
- October Rioja Alavesa Wine harvest festival, La Guardia.