In rural Durango, Basque Country, only 30 mins from Bilbao
What's On in 2018
3rd February - San Blas country fair, Abadiño. Dozens of stalls with local produce, farm animals & rural sport shows etc. Weekend of events with pelota matches, concerts in local bars etc
24 February - 40minuturock Durango, Plateruena. 24-hour rock and ska festival
10th March - Ardo Saltsan wine and delicatessen fair, Durango.
30th March - 1st April - Durangoko Pasiñue passion play, Durango
22nd April - commemoration of battle of Intxortas, Elgeta (Spanish Civil War). Visits to trenches and battle scenes, parade of gudaris (Basque soldiers) and Franco's forces, presentations to veterans and families.
20th May - country fair, Mañaria
22nd - 24th June - Haizetara street band festival, Amorebieta.
2nd September .- Ferixa Nagusia, Elorrio. Biggest country fair in Bizkaia of the summer, with stalls of local produce, farm animals, drumming parade on 2nd, pelota and rural sports, concerts all week etc
12th September 'Vuelta a España' stage from Getxo to the Balcón de Bizkaia nr Markina
7th October - Errebonbillos, Elorrio. Traditional Basque dancing commemorating event from Carlist wars.
13th October - San Fausto, Durango's main fiesta. 10 days of events with concerts, parades, fancy dress, children's events etc
November - mushroom picking and tasting events throughout the month in local towns
5th - 9th December - Durango Azoka, the main book and music fair of the Basque Country. More than 150 stalls from local publishers and record companies, programme of cultural events and concerts all weekend. Lively atmosphere in town.
Local events in 2018
Within an hour's drive
- 19th - 20th January San Sebastián day - Tamborrada drumming parade of soldiers and chefs
- 8th - 13th February carnivals - all towns, especially Tolosa where the whole town parades in satirical fancy dress, floats, shows, performances
- Easter weekend Basque Fest, Bilbao. Programme of family and street entertainment over Easter; theatre and performance art, clowns, story-telling, Basque dancing and rural sport demonstrations etc
- 11th, 12th May International rugby finals, San Mamés Bilbao
- June gala presentacion of the The World’s 50 Best Restaurants at the Guggenheim, Bilbao. Several local restaurants are high in this list, such as the nearby Asador Etxebarri in Atxondo
- 28th May - 1st June Bienial Machine Tools Fair in Bilbao, at the BEC
- 4th - 7th July Getxo Jazz Festival, Bilbao.
- 12th- 14th July BBK Live music festival, Bilbao
- 11th - 15th July Vitoria Jazz Festival
- 25th - 29th July San Sebastián Jazz Festival
- 4th - 9th August La Blanca fiesta, Vitoria's main fiesta
- 12th - 19th August Aste Nagusia, San Sebastián's 'Big Week' summer fiesta
- 18th - 26th August Bilboko Aste Nagusia, Bilbao's 'Big Week' main summer fiesta. Concerts, theatre, street entertainment, fireworks every night, childrens' activities etc
- 21st - 29th September international Film Festival, San Sebastián
- 29th October 'Last Monday of October' country fair in Gernika. Hundreds of stalls of local products, wine & cheese tasting etc
- 4th November gala for the MTV Europe Music Awards Bilbao, BEC
- 21st December Santo Tomás Christmas country fairs, Bilbao and San Sebastián
- 22nd December Santo Tomás fair, Mondragón
- 10th February Uztaberri - new wine harvest festival, open doors day in wine cellars La Puebla de la Barca, Rioja Alavesa. 1.5 hours away
- 6th - 14th July San Fermines, Pamplona. Famous bull-running fiesta, with full programme of music and dancing, street performances etc. every day. 1 h 45 min / 2 h drive from house
- October Rioja Alavesa Wine harvest festival, La Guardia. 1.5 h. away