In rural Durango, Basque Country, only 30 mins from Bilbao
What's On in 2019
1st-3rd February - Verdeago ecological fair, Durango
3rd February - San Blas country fair, Abadiño. Dozens of stalls with local produce, farm animals & rural sport shows etc. Weekend of events with pelota matches, concerts in local bars etc
24 February - 40minuturock Durango, Plateruena. 24-hour rock and ska festival
30th March - Ardo Saltsan wine and delicatessen fair, Durango.
18th - 21st April - Durangoko Pasiñue passion play, Durango
22nd April? - commemoration of battle of Intxortas, Elgeta (Spanish Civil War). Visits to trenches and battle scenes, parade of gudaris (Basque soldiers) and Franco's forces, presentations to veterans and families.
19th May - country fair, Mañaria
21st - 23rd June - Haizetara street band festival, Amorebieta.
1st September .- Ferixa Nagusia, Elorrio. Biggest country fair in Bizkaia of the summer, with stalls of local produce, farm animals, drumming parade on 2nd, pelota and rural sports, concerts all week etc
6th October - Errebonbillos, Elorrio. Traditional Basque dancing commemorating event from Carlist wars.
13th October - San Fausto, Durango's main fiesta. 10 days of events with concerts, parades, fancy dress, children's events etc
November - mushroom picking and tasting events throughout the month in local towns
6th - 8th December - Durango Azoka, the main book and music fair of the Basque Country. More than 150 stalls from local publishers and record companies, programme of cultural events and concerts all weekend. Lively atmosphere in town.
Local events in 2019
Within an hour's drive
- 19th - 20th January San Sebastián day - Tamborrada drumming parade of soldiers and chefs
- 28th February - 5th March carnivals - all towns, especially Tolosa where the whole town parades in satirical fancy dress, floats, shows, performances
- 18th-22nd April Easter weekend Basque Fest, Bilbao. Programme of family and street entertainment over Easter; theatre and performance art, clowns, story-telling, Basque dancing and rural sport demonstrations etc
- ? July Getxo Jazz Festival, Bilbao.
- ? July BBK Live music festival, Bilbao
- ? July Vitoria Jazz Festival
- ? July San Sebastián Jazz Festival
- 4th - 9th August La Blanca fiesta, Vitoria's main fiesta
- 12th - 19th August Aste Nagusia, San Sebastián's 'Big Week' summer fiesta
- 18th - 26th August Bilboko Aste Nagusia, Bilbao's 'Big Week' main summer fiesta. Concerts, theatre, street entertainment, fireworks every night, childrens' activities etc
- 21st - 29th September international Film Festival, San Sebastián
- 29th October 'Last Monday of October' country fair in Gernika. Hundreds of stalls of local products, wine & cheese tasting etc
- 4th November gala for the MTV Europe Music Awards Bilbao, BEC
- 21st December Santo Tomás Christmas country fairs, Bilbao and San Sebastián
- 22nd December Santo Tomás fair, Mondragón
- 10th February Uztaberri - new wine harvest festival, open doors day in wine cellars La Puebla de la Barca, Rioja Alavesa. 1.5 hours away
- 6th - 14th July San Fermines, Pamplona. Famous bull-running fiesta, with full programme of music and dancing, street performances etc. every day. 1 h 45 min / 2 h drive from house
- October Rioja Alavesa Wine harvest festival, La Guardia. 1.5 h. away