In rural Durango, Basque Country, only 30 mins from Bilbao
What's On in 2020
30th January - 2nd February - Berdeago Energy sustainability fair, Durango
9th- 10th February - Berdeago Nature, Durango
3rd February - San Blas country fair, Abadiño. Dozens of stalls with local produce, farm animals & rural sport shows etc. Weekend of events with pelota matches, concerts in local bars etc
29th February - 40minuturock Durango, Plateruena. 24-hour rock and ska festival
28th March - Ardo Saltsan wine and delicatessen fair, Durango.
31st March - Durango Civil War Bombarment commemorative events, Durango
8th - 13th April - Durangoko Pasiñue passion play, Durango
22nd April? - commemoration of battle of Intxortas, Elgeta (Spanish Civil War). Visits to trenches and battle scenes, parade of gudaris (Basque soldiers) and Franco's forces, presentations to veterans and families.
24th May - country fair, Mañaria
31st May - International Ciclocross, Berriz
19th - 21st June - Haizetara street band festival, Amorebieta.
1st September .- Ferixa Nagusia, Elorrio. Biggest country fair in Bizkaia of the summer, with stalls of local produce, farm animals, drumming parade on 2nd, pelota and rural sports, concerts all week etc
4th October - Errebonbillos, Elorrio. Traditional Basque dancing commemorating event from Carlist wars.
13th October - San Fausto, Durango's main fiesta. 10 days of events with concerts, parades, fancy dress, children's events etc
November - mushroom picking and tasting events throughout the month in local towns
4th - 8th December - Durangoko Azoka, the main book and music fair of the Basque Country. More than 150 stalls from local publishers and record companies, programme of cultural events and concerts all weekend. Lively atmosphere in town.
Local events in 2020
Within an hour's drive
- 19th - 20th January San Sebastián day - Tamborrada drumming parade of soldiers and chefs
- 20th - 25th February carnivals - all towns, especially Tolosa where the whole town parades in satirical fancy dress, floats, shows, performances
- 09th - 13th April Easter weekend Basque Fest, Bilbao. Programme of family and street entertainment over Easter; theatre and performance art, clowns, story-telling, Basque dancing and rural sport demonstrations etc
- 25th - 29th May BIEMH Machine Tool Fair, Barakaldo (BEC)
- 6th - 9th July Getxo Jazz Festival, Bilbao.
- 9th - 11th July BBK Live music festival, Bilbao
- 13th - 18th July Vitoria Jazz Festival
- 22nd - 26th July San Sebastián Jazz Festival
- 4th - 9th August La Blanca fiesta, Vitoria's main fiesta
- 8th - 15th August Aste Nagusia, San Sebastián's 'Big Week' summer fiesta
- 22nd - 30th August Bilboko Aste Nagusia, Bilbao's 'Big Week' main summer fiesta. Concerts, theatre, street entertainment, fireworks every night, childrens' activities etc
- 18th - 26th September international Film Festival, San Sebastián
- 26th October 'Last Monday of October' country fair in Gernika. Hundreds of stalls of local products, wine & cheese tasting etc
- 4th November gala for the MTV Europe Music Awards Bilbao, BEC
- 21st December Santo Tomás Christmas country fairs, Bilbao and San Sebastián
- 22nd December Santo Tomás fair, Mondragón
- 09th February Uztaberri - new wine harvest festival, open doors day in wine cellars La Puebla de la Barca, Rioja Alavesa. 1.5 hours away
- 6th - 14th July San Fermines, Pamplona. Famous bull-running fiesta, with full programme of music and dancing, street performances etc. every day. 1 h 45 min / 2 h drive from house
- October Rioja Alavesa Wine harvest festival, La Guardia. 1.5 h. away